Summer is upon us, and with it comes a colorful, fragrant bounty of seasonal fruits and vegetables. Around this time of year, the farmer’s markets and roadside farm stands have a rainbow of flavors on offer. Although the very best way to enjoy fresh fruit may be eating it out of hand, standing in the back yard and letting the juice drip where it may, why not use seasonal fruit to create a very special refreshment for your summer guests? Combine some of those delicious berries, peaches or melons with Vizcaya VXOP to make a decadent, delicious treat that will make your parties the talk of the town.
The easiest way to do this? With a classic daiquiri. The daiquiri has gotten a bad rap in the past few decades, perhaps because of the preponderance of syrupy sweet premixed versions. As with many cocktails, the simpler the better. Make your daiquiris from scratch using premium ingredients, like Vizcaya VXOP, and you’ll understand why this tiki-bar classic was once a favorite libation.
Vizcaya’s warm, fruity, spicy character lends itself well to tropical flavors, so you might want to begin your daiquiri adventure on established ground. Try coconut, mango, banana, papaya and pineapple to flavor your first batch of daiquiris.
After that, it’s time to experiment with peaches, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon and kiwi. Citrus fruits pair well with fresh mint or basil. Cherries would make a mouthwatering partner for Vizcaya VXOP. And don’t forget the lime—a classic component of daiquiris and one which will heighten the flavor of whatever seasonal or tropical fruit you choose.
Classic Frozen Fruit Daiquiris
* 3 oz. Vizcaya VXOP
* 1 oz. lime or other juice
* About 1 ½ cups crushed ice
* Fresh fruit of choice
* Additional sweetener to taste, depending on the sweetness of the fruit. We suggest a simple syrup (made by combining one part sugar and one part water in saucepan and cooking over low heat until sugar is melted), agave nectar or honey.
Here are some combinations to get you started, but don’t be afraid to experiment. After all, if your daiquiri has Vizcaya VXOP in it, it’s hard to go wrong.
* 1 cup diced strawberries and ½ cup diced kiwi fruit
* 1 cup diced mango and ¼ cup coconut milk
* 1 cup diced peaches, ½ cup raspberries, ¼ cup fresh mint
* 1 ½ cup blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries
* 1 cup diced watermelon, juice of 1 lime, ¼ cup chopped fresh basil